Complaints about noise are often one of the most difficult, and each case is handled a little differently depending upon the situation.
- It may take several complaints and/or interactions with your neighbor to see a difference; persistence and patience will be the key to finding a good resolution.
- You can file a complaint in writing for a barking dog by filling out our animal complaint form HERE and returning it to our office in person, by mail, fax, or email.
Mail: Yolo County Animal Services
140C Tony Diaz Drive, Woodland, CA 95776
Fax: (530) 668-5288
- Our department will review each complaint to begin an investigation. For our noise protocol, please refer HERE
- If a noise complaint issue elevates to the level of a citation against the dog owner, please note you will be required to attend court as a witness.
Talk to the Dog Owner:
- If possible and you feel comfortable, speak to the dog owner about the noise. Often people are unaware that there is a problem.
- If other neighbors share your concerns, try talking to the dog owner as a group, or sending a letter outlining the neighborhood’s concerns.
- Keep a written log, documenting the times and duration of the barking. This will help your case should you consider civil action against the dog owner.
Tips for dog owners to prevent excessive barking can be found HERE