The Yolo County Sheriff’s Reserve Program is comprised of volunteer Peace Officers. The Reserve Deputies are available to support and assist the department in the protection of life and property, the preservation of public peace, and the enforcement of the laws of the county and state. The Reserves also work security at private and community functions to raise money for community programs and to support the Reserve Program.
There are three position levels of Reserve Deputies. Levels are defined as:
- Level III – Performs limited functions not usually requiring law enforcement powers. May also work security functions when supervised by a Level II Reserve, Level I Reserve or a Full Time Deputy Sheriff.
- Level II –Performs patrol functions when supervised by a full time Deputy Sheriff. Can work all security functions when working with a Level II Reserve, Level I reserve or Full Time Deputy Sheriff.
- Level I – Performs all functions of a level II and Level III. May also work independently on patrol upon successful completion of the Field Training Program.
Qualified candidates must be citizens of the United States at or prior to appointment, must be at least 21 years of age and possess the following:
- Proof of completion of High School or equivalent.
- Employment as a Reserve Deputy in the State of California within the last three years or graduation from a Reserve Academy within the last three years. Current enrollment in a reserve academy is also qualifying.
- A valid California driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- Ability to perform the essential job functions as listed below with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to read and understand English language documents.
- Ability to legibly handwrite accurate and grammatically correct reports.
- Communicate effectively orally, in writing and using a police radio.
- Operate a vehicle safely under various conditions, including emergencies.
- Lift, carry, drag, pull and push objects of varying weight and size.
- Stand, walk and run for extended periods of time over various distances and conditions, such as pursuing a running suspect through yards and over fences and walls.
- Observe and recognize people, activity, vehicles, street signs and environmental conditions from a reasonable distance during day and night.
- Not pose a direct threat to the health and safety of yourself and others.
- Use only force objectively necessary to control situations and persons, including combative or fleeing suspects.
- Operate a variety of firearms and weapons safely and proficiently.
- Exercise good judgment in dealing with routine and unusual situations.
- Learn and comprehend factual information, policies, procedures and rules, and use good judgment and discretion in responding to changing conditions in similar and non-similar situations.
- Maintain composure and judgment during emergency or tense situations.
- Refuse to participate in or tolerate unethical behavior.
- Must not be subject to impeachment in court due to character, reputation, history of dishonesty, or violation of law, including drug violations.
- Behave courteously toward others.
- Take direction well from supervisors.
- Maintain good working relationships with those encountered in the course of duty.
- Accept constructive criticism and apply it to performance.
- Be dependable in meeting scheduled assignments.
- Perform related duties as required.
A qualified candidate must be in good physical condition with weight in proportion to height and build. Must possess no less than 20/100 uncorrected vision in both eyes, correctable to 20/50 in both eyes and possess the ability to discriminate color; and, possess normal hearing acuity.
Compensation & Benefits
Reserves are paid a quarterly uniform allowance of $75.00. All safety equipment including a ballistic vest is provided to the Reserve Deputies.
Application & Selection Procedure
Based on the review of all applications received, qualified applicants will be invited to participate in selection testing, which will include, an oral interview, a thorough background investigation, a psychological suitability evaluation and a medical suitability evaluation.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract expressed or implied, and any provisions contained herein may be modified or revoked without notice.
To submit an application for the position of Deputy Sheriff Reserve, please click here.
The Yolo County Sheriff’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer and acts in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.