What is the role of the Public Administrator?
The Public Administrator may handle the estates of those who die in Yolo County without next of kin in California, without a Will, when the family is unable to act, or when ordered by the Court.
The Public Administrator’s duties include:
- Protecting decedent’s property from waste, loss or theft
- Making appropriate arrangements for burial
- Conducting investigations to discover all decedent estate assets
- Paying the decedent’s bills and taxes
- Locating persons entitled to inherit from the decedent estate and ensure that these persons receive their inheritance
The Public Administrator also provides burial/cremation services for indigent decedents who are residents of Yolo County.