Yolo Tip Line 530-668-5212Yolo Tip Line Jobs | Facebook | Nixle

Yolo County Sheriff's Office

Service Without Limitations

Animal Service FAQs

1. What are the Shelter hours and when are the Animal Service Officers Available?

The Shelter hours are:

Tuesday – Friday, 10 am – 1 pm and 2 pm – 6 pm

Saturday 10 am – 1 pm and 2 pm – 4 pm

Monday (License and Redemptions Only, no phone service) 1 pm – 5 pm


The Animal Services Officers work six days per week, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. After hours, an on-call officer is available for emergencies such as injured animals, loose livestock, vicious animals, and the Rabies Control Program. All after hours call outs must be approved by the jurisdiction’s law enforcement supervisor or their designee prior to Animal Services being dispatched.

2. What areas of Yolo County does Animal Services assist?

Animal Services serves the cities of Woodland, Davis, West Sacramento, Winters, and the University of California Davis campus, as well as the unincorporated areas of Yolo County such as Esparto, Dunnigan, Madison, and Brooks.

3. What kind of services do you provide?

The Animal Services staff is available to provide pet adoptions, redemptions, rescues, licensing, appointments for dog and cat rabies vaccinations, and appointments for low cost vaccinations for dogs and cats.

In addition to these services, we investigate barking and noise complaints, inspect kennels, pick up loose and contained animals including livestock, respond to animal bites and attacks, rent traps, and provide welfare checks on animals. Often we are called upon to provide emergency services and transport for other rescue personnel who are not equipped to move animals, such as the Fire Department, CHP, and Health Department. Some services require a fee.

4. What kind of animals can I adopt at the shelter?

Animal Services handles many types of animals, but our adoption program is mostly limited to dogs and cats. Other animals which are defined as pet animals by State code such as rabbits, guinea pigs, and reptiles, are made available to their individual rescue programs for care and placement in appropriate homes.

5. I want to adopt an animal. What should I expect?

Each adoption begins with a 20 minute consultation during which time you will be given information about pet adoptions. You will be asked some questions about your home life including: Do you already own pets, do you have a fenced yard, etc.

These questions are asked in order to determine if the animal you have selected is an appropriate one for your household, as it is our utmost priority to find the best match for the people and animals involved in an adoption. Please keep in mind that if you are renting your residence, you must provide proof that your landlord will allow you to keep pets, which Animal Services will verify. If you own your home, please bring proof of residence such as payment statement and/or PG&E or water/garbage bill.

If the animal you have selected has not been spayed or neutered, the animal will have to undergo the procedure. Your pet will be available to take home the day after the adoption, once the appropriate fees have been paid.

6. My animal was impounded. What do I need to do?

In order to redeem your animal you need to bring in your driver’s license or ID card, and veterinarian records for the animal to show proof of current vaccinations and spay/neuter status. If such paperwork is not available, please allow extra time for the redemption. Once the appropriate fees are paid (redemption, boarding, vaccination, license, etc.), your animal will be released.

7. I need to license my dog. What do I need to do?

We would be happy to provide you with a copy of a license application by mail, fax, or online. You may also come in to our shelter facility during business hours and complete the application over the counter.

New license (not renewal) applications are also available at the West Sacramento and Davis Police Departments and the Westside Veterinary Clinic in West Sacramento. A current rabies vaccination is required in order to get a dog license. Licenses can be purchased for the term length of the rabies vaccination for your convenience. All dogs in Yolo County are required to be licensed. Cat licensing is optional. Additional fees will be charged for a late license.

8. I would like to volunteer. Who do I contact?

Some of the services our volunteers perform include providing foster homes, cat socialization, grooming, and dog walking. If you have any questions regarding the Volunteer Program, please contact volunteer coordinator Margot Wilcox or fill out an online application.

9. For more information call (530) 668-5287.